Biblical Forecasts of Scientific Discoveries
By Dr. Hugh Ross, Astronomer
January 1, 1976
REASONS TO BELIEVE
Not only is the Bible filled with the fundamentals of science, but it is as much as 3,000 years ahead of its time. The Bible’s statements in most cases directly contradicted the science of the day in which they were made. When modern scientific knowledge approaches reality, the divine accuracy of the scriptures is substantiated. For example:
|Biblical Statement||Science Then||Science Now|
|Earth is a sphere (Is. 40:22).||Earth’s a flat disk.||Earth is a sphere|
|Number of stars exceeds a billion (Jer. 33:22).||Number of stars totals 1,100||Number of stars exceeds a billion|
|Every star is different (1 Cor 15:41).||All stars are the same.||Every star is different.|
|Light is in motion (Job 38:19-20).||Light is fixed in place.||Light is in motion.|
|Air has weight (Job 28:25).||Air is weightless.||Air has weight.|
|Winds blow in cyclones (Eccl. 1:6).||Winds blow straight.||Winds blow in cyclones.|
|Blood is a source of life and healing (Lev. 17:11).||Sick people must bled.||Blood is a source of life and healing.|
For centuries the conjectures of science also were at odds with Genesis 1 concerning the origin and development of Earth and of life on Earth. However, science has progressed beyond these conjectures and now agrees with Genesis 1 in the initial conditions of Earth, the description of subsequent events, and in the order of these events. The probability that Moses, writing more than 3,400 years ago, would have guessed all these details is less than one in trillions. Below is a partial list of other fundamentals of science explained in the Bible:
- conservation of mass and energy (Eccl. 1:9; Eccl. 3:14-15).
- water cycle (Eccl. 1:7; Is. 55:10).
- gravity (Job 26:7; Job 38:31-33).
- Pleiades and Orion as gravitationally bound star groups (Job 38:31). NOTE: All other star groups visible to the naked eye are unbound, with the possible exception of the Hyades.
- effect of emotions on physical health (Prov. 16:24; Prov. 17:22).
- control of contagious diseases (Lev. 13:4546).
- importance of sanitation to health (Lev.; Num. 19: Deut. 23:12-13). control of cancer and heart disease (Lev. 7-19).
In the crucible of scientific investigation, the Bible has proven invariably to be correct. No other book, ancient or modem, can make this claim; but then, no other book has been written (through men) by God.
Copyright 1976, Reasons To Believe
Subjects: Creation Passages, General Apologetics , Two Books